Not sure I have much to say, but what the hell.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tuesday, Aug. 12-- "Mamma Mia!"

Have you guys seen "Mama Mia"? OMG, it was so good. OK, it was also ridiculous. But so ridiculous that you couldn't help but laugh. Pierce Brosnan's singing was so insanely bad that it was funny. I mean, they HAD to know that it was bad and just hammed up the absurdity of it. And every fuzzy camera shot in slow-motion was cause for a fit of giggles. It was still so silly and funny and beautiful (I SO want to book a trip to Greece. Don't think my Oct trip to Boston will really cut it) and just fun. I thought that I could never listen to "Dancing Queen" again after hearing it ad nauseum through my 20s. But god damn it, I was singing along. And I'm going to rat out Tim-- so was he.

The only drawback-- where we saw it. Tim lives in Aurora. I would call it the 'burbs, but it's the 2nd biggest city in Illinois (I swear!) and so he checks me on that. Anyway, there's this huge gizillion-plex movie theater out there which is lovely (except there's no Swedish fish OR Dots OR even Mike & Ikes which are my favorite movie candies). But on a Tues night, the theater was filled with older and I have to believe, drunk women who wouldn't shut up. These women had never heard of inside voices. I love previews and these women in the row behind me were speaking to each other at full volume during the previews. Shushing was required.

I'm going to rat Tim out a little more and tell you my favorite lines of the night:
  1. Tim: "Are they showing this in Boystown? We HAVE to see this in Boystown."
  2. Tim: (As the credits rolled) "That was better than Batman!" That's high praise from a comic book geek. When he later said he was going to have to deny having seen "Mama Mia", I reminded him that: a. I'd rat him out and; b. he had said it was better than Batman. He confirmed that he still thought it was better than Batman but not as good as Ironman.
  3. Tim: "What time is it?" Me: "9:30." Tim: "Sweet! There's still time to go to Target and buy Abba Gold." Which we did and listened to on the ride home.

My my, how can I resist you?

No comments: