Not sure I have much to say, but what the hell.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Friday, June 20-- Summer Lovin'

My friend Geoff from college invited Pompei to participate in the Northwestern Hospital's Auxiliary Board's fundraiser. It was called Summer Lovin' held at the Museum of Contemporary Art. It was held in conjunction with Chicago Magazine's Sexiest Singles issue. One of the perks of us doing some of the catering was getting 2 free tickets to the event. So I invited Laura and we hit the museum.

I'm not sure if you've been to one of these "singles" fundraisers, but they're always about 75% women. This was no exception. Ladies were dressed to the 9s. And about 1/2 the guys were wearing jeans which I thought was amusing. But the setting was lovely-- it was outside in the big back terrace at the MCA. The food was great. We had this yummy tuna tartar in these crispy little sesame cones. So good. The liquor was a bit hit and miss. We walked in and they handed us Hennessy sidecars. It was a little rough and Laura couldn't finish hers. She switched over to some rum daquiri thing and I tried this drink that was supposedly a black raspberry version of Red Bull & vodka. Laura and I both agreed that the drinks were freaking us out a little bc they didn't taste like alcohol and we weren't sure if we were getting weak drinks or super strong ones we couldn't taste. We switched over to wine which was nasty. And finally we landed on beer. Lovely, lovely beer. Even bad beer is good. I'm not sure why we didn't go straight there, but I've learned my lesson.

Laura and I had a lovely time catching up, taking pictures in a photobooth that was there (hoping to post those soon) and checking out/making fun of people. We even took a few minutes to check out the Jeff Koons exhibit. I was a little drunk by that point, but there was a piece that looked like ice cream that I loved. Laura actually read the title, "Play-Doh". Here it is:

We were at the party till it shut down at 10:30. I dragged Laura over to Logan Sq. in an attempt to meet up w Tim who was at a concert in that part of town. Of course, by the time I got there, he was in Wicker Park and we just kept crossing paths. Laura and I had a beer at the Whirlaway and chatted w the Canadian bartender. Then it was time to head home. We struggled to find a cab in that part of town. When we finally found one I fell over. Literally. Scraped my hand. Yep, I'm back to normal.

No comments: