Not sure I have much to say, but what the hell.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Recovery

"If I had seen you walking down the street, I wouldn't have recognized you." That's the way my surgeon started the conversation yesterday when I was there for my follow-up appointment. I'm choosing to think that it was because I was looking particularly stylin' yesterday as opposed to the idea that I looked like death when he saw me in the hospital. He also reiterated that I had a nasty gallbladder for which I found myself apologizing. Like I had willed it to become inflamed and stone-filled. Regardless, he assured me that despite the challenge that my pesky gallbladder issued his team, the surgery went well and my recovery was coming along nicely. He declared me back to "normal" whatever that means. No heavy lifting ("Unless you want a hernia" the surgeon declares. Which sounded like fun to me, but I know my mom would be pissed so I'll have to get someone else to carry the crates of tomatoes.). But other than that, I'm all clear.

Which is good since I went to a concert last Wed. (albeit for a grand total of 2 hrs door-to-door), went to a concert and drank whiskey Sat. night and went back to work on Monday. My mom YELLED at me for going back to work before my follow-up appt. Needless to say, I didn't tell her about the whiskey. But I was losing my mind staying at home and doing nothing but watching "The View". Which was nice to know. I'm generally a lazy person and it's quite common for me to spend a lovely summer Sunday alternating btwn napping and watching crap tv on the couch. So I thought I would really enjoy my convalescence. But I didn't. Wanted to get back to work. Was so happy to be back at it on Monday. So I guess I'm not the total degenerate sloth I thought I was. That was pleasant to learn about myself.

What I also learned:

- Despite the fact that I went almost 2 wks w no real food AND the fact that I'm an organ lighter these days, don't think I've lost a pound. WTF?
- Cookie bouquets actually have yummy cookies. Which may explain the above.
- Whoopi is the sane one on The View and Elizabeth Hasselbeck still gets on my last nerve.
- Except for "Army Wives" (hell yeah I watch it), "My Boys" and "Top Chef" (now over), tv sucks these days.
- Whoever came up with Netflix should be sainted.
- Same w whoever came up w dissolvable stitches.
- I have no capacity to read anything longer than a People magazine article anymore. AP English is so, so far away.
- Vicodin just makes me sleepy. Don't get the biggie about it. I've got leftovers if anyone is interested. But I must warn you-- a couple of people have already called dibs.
- I have no idea how pregnant women and alcoholics manage. I had a beer the day after I got out of the hospital and it made me so happy.
- I have a hole where the drain in my gut was. So it looks like I have a gunshot wound. It's so cool. I'm ready to hit the clubs w 50 cent.
- My friends are very nice people. Which I knew so it's not really something I "learned". But it was a reminder. I'm a lucky girl.

Anyway, I've got a bunch of stuff on tap for the next few weeks so hopefully the blog will be buzzing again soon enough. Since I'm back to "normal".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you’re on the mend, girlie!
-I used to watch the view for the trainwreck enjoyment value (I also love Joy Behar), but now Sherri Sheppard makes even that impossible. I just want to punch her. Can’t sit through it.
-You try “Flipping Out” (Bravo!) and “She’s Got the Look” (TV Land) and I’ll try “My Boys” and “Army Wives.” Then we’ll discuss.
-I don’t understand the ‘hole’ and it scares me.
-Yep, the nine-months-without-booze thing is a big reason why I’ll probably always be childless.
-You have good friends because you are a good friend. Can’t wait to see you!

Dudeonfull3rt0n said...

Gregory House is staying at my place next week....we will take your extra Vicodin.