Not sure I have much to say, but what the hell.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Monday, June 24-- Mavis Staples

I am a recording artist.

Please stop laughing.

Last night, I went with a little crew of ladies to see Mavis Staples at the Hideout. The show was being recorded for a live album. Mavis ended the night with a version of "I'll Take You There" that used the audience for back-up singers. I was Mavis Staples' back-up singer!

Let me go back. I'll start by saying how lucky I felt hanging out with the ladies I went to the concert with. It was me, Lisa, Laura & Eva. These are all women I met while working at the Westside office of the Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago. That job was so miserable-- depressing, overwhelming, demanding-- that it made me leave the practice of law. But I was so, so lucky to have some amazing co-workers there. All of us but Eva have left. And she's the one we see the least. So it was fun to get together, make fun of old co-workers and listen to some music.

Next, I almost crapped my pants because Wilco was there. The Hideout is a tiny, tiny venue. We were sitting outside waiting for the soundcheck to be done and I saw this guy that seemed familiar. Laura agreed. Finally I said, "I think he's in Wilco". Then I saw the bassist for the band (who is midget-like in size-- looks much bigger on stage) and I knew I was right. Finally Jeff Tweedy showed up and it sealed the deal. I expressed excitement to the crew. These ladies all have no qualms about going up to ANYONE and starting a conversation with them. Lisa has been able to keep her composure together enough to speak to both Matt Damon AND Ira Glass. But me? Nope. I get start struck and just generally stupid. When I met Anthony Hopkins, I couldn't say, "I'm a big fan." without tripping over the words. So when I walked by Jeff Tweedy who was an inch away, I just stared straight and then said, "OMG, that was Jeff Tweedy" to Laura when I got to the other side. Yep, I'm a 16 year old.

Now the show-- the show was A. Maze. Ing. I described it as the best live show I've ever seen. Eva said it was worth coming up to the northside for. It was so good because it was so emotional. This woman is 68. 68! She's been singing since childhood. She has sung these songs a thousand times. But she sang "This Little Light of Mine" like it was the first time anyone had ever heard it. She sang, "The Weight" like she originated it instead of "The Band". She was sweating and moaning (her grandmother used to say that if you moan the devil doesn't know what you're saying. Note to self: Moan more.) and stomping and clapping and dancing and smiling. She almost cried a couple of times. She told stories about her family. She told stories about the Civil Rights movement and Dr. King that made me so shamed to be an American with that history and so proud that we came from there to nominating a black man for the presidency. Laura said it all-- it's amazing how music takes your mind to all sorts of different places. Last night, Mavis took me all over the place. Including "there".

Mavis Staples at the Hideout

No comments: