Not sure I have much to say, but what the hell.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

GirlTalk-- Sat., Nov. 8

Sat. night, Tim & I wrung out our livers and went to see Girl Talk at the Congress Theater. Now, I had seen this guy before at Lolla and it was HORRIBLE. A bunch of stoned 12 yr olds pushing and shoving and being generally annoying. But I love this guy. And listneing to him a couple of times post-Lolla made me cave and get tickets. I wrote about Girl Talk before and I had a hard time describing this guy, so I posted the Rolling Stone summary:

“Big ups to the fair-use principle of United States copyright law: Pittsburgh DJ Gregg Gillis aka Girl Talk says that's what allows him to use hundreds of unlicensed samples in his music. On 2006's breakthrough, Night Ripper, Gillis proved he was a true party-starter, effortlessly combining dozens of hip-hop, pop and rock hits in every song. Feed the Animals ups the ante, implementing more than 300 samples to make an utterly virtuosic mash-up record. On "Like This," one 90-second sequence alone works in BeyoncĂ©, Rick Astley, Nine Inch Nails and Yo La Tengo, among others.”

Well guess what? More stoned 12 yr olds. This time there was more room so it wasn't AS annoying. And don't get me wrong-- I had fun. But mainly I felt old hanging out with these guys:

No comments: