Not sure I have much to say, but what the hell.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Friday, July 11-- Feist

Friday was my first Ravinia concert of the season. It was Feist. And I'm not sure if I'm delusional and it's always brutal getting up there on the Metra or if it was particularly bad this time around, but it was NOT fun getting there. Laura and her friend Sara took the 5:50 train from downtown. Tim & I were at the Ravenswood stop for the same train. There were so many bodies waiting that we couldn't even get on the platform. We couldn't get on that train. Or the next. Or the next. Three trains went by without letting us on. When I'm done with this post, I'm writing s astrongly worded email to Ravinia AND Metra. We got on the train almost at 8 pm. We had gotten to the station a little past 6. Luckily I had some Mike's Hard Pomegranate (insert joke about my drink of choice here) and Tim had his Sparks (Lisa Madigan hasn't prohibited them yet!) and we were a-ok waiting. Meanwhile Laura and Sara were at the park in the WAY back. I mean, they had gotten there relatively early for an 8 pm show with an opening act. And still. The place was packed. We got there and Tim was pretty befuddled by the fact that you can't smoke at Ravinia-- even though you're outside in a park. It took some doing but we found the ladies and they had already set up the picnic. Tim & I had missed the opening act and the show started almost immediately with "Mushaboom". Because we were so far back, it was hard to hear. There weren't any speakers for some distance. So we went up to the pavilion where we saw Feist in her sassy hat and boogied to a few songs including "I Feel It All". We ran into my neighbors who were there with some French friends who were equally disturbed by the "No Smoking" ban. After the visit to the pavilion, we headed back to the blanket and gave up any attempt to actually listen to the music. "1, 2, 3, 4" and "Sea Lion" became background music to our shinanegans. It was a super fun group of people so a super fun night as a result. We hung out a little after the concert waiting for the crowd to die down. But it was still crowded getting on the train home. We were on a SLOW train to Chicago and our train car was drunk and restless. Clearly mass singing was in order. A girl asked Tim what his favorite song was and w/o missing a beat he said, "Like a Prayer". Then we were off to the races. See the video below. Just another Friday night.
Laura and me
Sara and Laura
Me & Tim
Sara, Laura and an oh-so-drunk me
Tim folded successfully folded up the blanket.
Good job!
Laura, Sara and found cookies on the slow train home
"Like a Prayer"
Tim was worried about paying Madonna royalty fees.
But it didn't stop anyone.

1 comment:

Allison Slater Tate said...

Wow. I am super impressed with the "Like a Prayer" group sing on the train.