Not sure I have much to say, but what the hell.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Un-PC politics

I know that I should be excited about all the women in this presidential election. I know I should focus on policy and qualifications. But that ship has sailed. I know what I believe and I know who I'm voting for (I'll give you one guess). So instead, I'm treating this political season as an extended version of Project Runway. Seriously, I wish Michael Kors, Nina Garcia and Heidi were doing the commentary at the conventions instead of Katie Couric. I really do.

Michelle Obama started it all off right. I thought she looked awesome in this dress the night of her speech. And Patty pointed out that her hair looked awesome. I think she looked classy and feminine and modern. Of course, I'm biased bc her name's Michelle (albeit mispelled) and she's a Tiger. Plus I think that she and her husband rock. I liked the dresses she wore all week although some didn't look as good on camera. This one was cool but the pattern looked a little funky on tv. Still-- I just love this shot bc they clearly adore each other.Hillary was next. I thought the orange was too much. Kim liked the bright color (I believe she said that color is Hillary's friend) but I thought there was too much of it. As Patty said, "I like orange but I don't put it on my butt". My college colors were orange and black and I don't put on that much orange at a reunion. And it was so shiny too. Chelsea, on the other hand, looked great. That poor kid had to go through pueberty w that crazy curly hair in the national spotlight. But now the ugly duckling is a swan.

I don't know much about Jill Biden but someone pointed out to me that she was a former beauty queen. I believe it. And I'll tell you one thing-- I wouldn't mind her guns.
Ok, so I'm a Democrat. But I'll give credit where credit is due. Laura Bush looked appropriate and polished. There, I said something nice about a Republican. But Cindy McCain? What was that? I'm sure that would look good in person at a lawn party in Tuscon (do they have lawns in Tuscon?) but on tv? It looked like a rain slicker. That yellow! That collar! I think that sometimes these women don't think about how their outfits will translate on tv.

One thing that Cindy McCain does do well is hair. She usually has an updo and it's pretty sleek. Sarah Palin? Yeah, not so much. Patty pointed this out before I had even seen a picture of her. But as soon as I saw a shot, I knew exactly what she meant.All that being said, I think she looked good at the convention. Still a little too much poof in the hair. But better. And I liked the outfit. Lisa thought it was a boring color. But I was still blinded by Cindy's yellow so the silver/grey was welcome to my eyes. Of course, I still hate this lady. I couldn't watch the speech bc after 5 mins I almost burst a blood vessel with rage. But a nice jacket is a nice jacket.

5 comments:

Allison Slater Tate said...

Michelle Obama is a Tiger, but she didn't like Princeton. :( And Biden has made public comments against Princeton. So that displeases me. I'll still vote for them, but they need to hush about P'ton.

I agree with you about just about all the fashion choices. Cindy McCain needs a stylist. Enough with the neon already. She looks like she stepped out of the movie "Mannequin." And Sarah Palin's hair is an SNL skit waiting to happen.

Our Milwaukee Family said...

According to Vanity Fair, the non-elite Mrs. John McCain's outfit cost:


$300,000 head to toe

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/politics/2008/09/cindy-mccains-300000-outfit.html

As a fellow non-elitist, I didn't know Filene's Basement jacked their prices so much.

Anonymous said...

I totes agree - was going to blog about outfits tonight but you beat me to it.

I normally like Laura Bush's style a lot, but she looked washed out in the white. But honestly, if another color occupied the stage at the same time of Cindy's canary yellow Dracula-collared getup, my TV would have exploded. Cindy needs to do what Coco Chanel said: take off one piece of jewelry before leaving the house. In Cindy's case, maybe four.

Palin is nuts but I liked her outfit. She looked good on TV. I didn't even mind the hair poof. Very Mad Men. I do mind that she reminds me of Tina Fey. I'm sure Tiny Fey minds too.

I want Michelle Obama's closet. And the 5 inches or so in eight she has on me to pull it off.

Guaranteed Fresh said...

I LOVED Cindy's green dress the night Palin spoke. That green and the shape was amazing.

Dudeonfull3rt0n said...

so the lastest comparison out here on the left coast is that Sarah Palin looks like Peggy Hill from "King of the Hill". See here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Peggy.jpg

Dead on - lipstick and all!