Not sure I have much to say, but what the hell.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Saturday, May 24-- Rilo Kiley

Saturday night of Memorial Day weekend, I met Dan W. at Fat Cat for a pre-concert drink. We were headed to see Rilo Kiley. I was pleased to see that they had one of my favorite beers available and I thought that was an auspicious start to the evening.


We headed over to the Riviera (also known as the theater where Vince Vaughn stands up Jennifer Aniston and breaks her heart in "The Break-Up") and caught the end of the mop top-y opening band that was actually pretty good. We decided to sit in the balcony and unfortunately for Dan, most of the seats were broken. You could tell they were broken bc they had masking tape on them w/ "Broken" written on it and the specific problem in parenthesis. So Dan's seat said, "Broken (spring)". That meant that the spring was popping through the seat and a nail was actually jutting out. Dan was a trooper and figured out how to navigate around it.

Now I read a review of Rilo Kiley's recent concert tour and they described them as aloof and condescending. I have no idea what that guy was talking about. They sounded great. They were totally engaged w/ the audience. They had lots of energy. Other than the jutting nail and the lights they kept flashing into the audience causing me mild seizures, it was an awesome concert. They had these balloons w/ silver confetti in them a la The Flaming Lips that got bounced around the audience. When they'd pop, they'd shower silver confetti all over the squealing audience. Quite a hit.

Post-show we went back to Fat Cat for another drink. I was pretty beat though and knew that I had a big Sun. in front of me so we called it a night relatively early. Good times, good times.
Rilo Kiley-- The chick was wearing an outfit VERY similar to this in concert

No comments: